Date: Friday 22nd to Saturday 23rd September 2017
Meeting Time: TBC
Location: Causeway Coastal Route (Exact locations TBC)
Group Size: This workshop has been limited to a maximum of 8 students. This allows myself & Steven to spend more time with everyone, helping them with any questions they may have.
What will I learn during this workshop?
We will be covering a variety of topics such as exposure, composition, camera settings, the proper use of filters, location planning, understanding the night sky, how to shoot the Milky Way, star trails and much much more. We will also be having a look at how to be creative with long exposure photography.
- Planning & how to prepare for a day/night shoot.
- Manual focusing at night for pinpoint sharp stars.
- Fundamental Settings
- The 500 Rule.
- Basic Light painting.
- How to photograph the milkyway, star trails & aurora borealis.
- How to find the North Star (Polaris).
- Everyone will be emailed a 6 page document on night photography after the workshop!
What will I need to bring with me?
- A modern DLSR capable of manual mode and high ISO settings. – this is essential!
- A sturdy Tripod – this is essential!
- A wide angle lens. Anything from 14mm – 24mm will work depending on your camera. The lens will also need an aperture of f/3.5 minimum speed. Ideally f/2.8 or faster.
- A remote release or remote (if your camera doesn’t have the self timer option)
- Warm clothes – (plenty of layers, gloves, hat, thermals, scarf) it will be cold and could even be snow!
- Adequate Footwear is a must.
- Headlamp – doesn’t need to be fancy, just needs to have a red light on it.
- Snacks/Drinks – NO ALCOHOL
- Sense of humor
- Pen & Paper (for notes)
The weather plays a very important role in the astro workshops and is very unpredictable – especially here in Ireland! Ideally we want a perfectly clear night, but sometimes we will get a light cloud cover or clear intervals. If it is forecast to rain on the night, then the workshop will be rescheduled to a different date. I’ll usually know 3/4 days out what is happening.
Terms & Conditions
You must be 18 years or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodation, any gear and transportation although snacks & fancy coffee will be provided.
Full Terms & Conditions can be seen here.
All participants must sign an Acknowledgement of Risk form!
If you are unable to make the workshop for any reason after purchasing, then please send me an email as soon as possible to [email protected].